Most of the parking lots use high-intensity discharge (HID) lighting, such as high-pressure sodium lamps or metal halides. But now, this trend is changing and an energy-efficient technology is replacing the traditional light sources and that technology is Light Emitting Diode (LED).
Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights are the modern technology in power efficient lighting. It is a semiconductor device that converts electricity into light. These lights are highly energy efficient and use almost 85 percent less energy than incandescent or halogen lighting. LED lights are long-lasting as compared to other types of lighting and require very less maintenance. Apart from Led parking lot lighting are used in buildings, walkways, roads, stadiums etc.
How LED technology work
LED lights look like a computer chip than an ordinary lamp. A semiconductor diode releases illumination when connected to a power source. LED lamps throw light in only one direction unlike HID lamps, which emit luminosity in all directions. LED consists of numerous rows of small diodes attached together firmly. The LED emits the beam exactly where it is needed which reduces the unnecessary wastage of light.
Benefits of LED lights:
LED lights have numerous characteristics that make them unique from other lighting technologies such as metal halide (MH) lamps and high-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps used in parking lots.
Some of the advantages of using LED lights include:
- Effectiveness– LED emits light in only one direction, so it releases light only where it is needed which prevents wastage of energy. LED also offers high quality visibility as compared to HPS lighting.
- Long lasting- LED lights can be used for around 50,000-100,000 hours. On the other hand, HPS and MH lamps provide only 18,000- 24,000 hours of lighting.
- Resilience– LED lamps consist of solid materials which make them less brittle and less vulnerable to damage than traditional lamps in a jagged parking lot where illumination experiences regular vibration.
- Cold weather performance– LED light increases as the surrounding temperature. This means these lights are advantageous for parking lots located in colder areas.
- Maintenance- LED lights require less or no maintenance as it is highly durable.
- Well-suited with lighting controls- LEDs can be easily turned on and off instantly using photocells or occupancy sensors.
- Nature friendly- LED technology is nature-friendly as it does not contain mercury, which reduces light pollution.